The Forest Project
- Dates:November 14, 2017 - December 22, 2017 ( Recurring weekly on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday )
- Location:Portage and District Arts Centre and Gallery
- City:Portage la Prairie
- Times:From: 11:00 AM to 05:00 PM
- Address: 11 - 2nd Street NE Portage la Prairie, MB
- Contact: Lee Beaton
- Phone: (204) 239-6029
- Email:Send Email
- Website:Visit Website
- Region: Pembina Valley Central Plains
- Ticket Info: free
November 14 to December 22, 2017
THE FOREST PROJECT
Acrylic on canvas paintings by Don McMaster.
For many years, I have painted large prairie landscapes with sweeping vistas and wide open spaces. Then, a few years ago, an encounter with the work of the French artist, Benoit Trimborn, made me realize that I had overlooked my daily close association with the forest on our land. New techniques were obviously required, and the ensuing experiments forced me to paint larger, and in a more abstract fashion.
Don and Ardythe McMaster, retired school teachers, moved from Winnipeg in 1996 to live in the Lavenham area. Don converted his hunting cabin to a studio, and they built a new home on the ridge overlooking the Assiniboine River Valley. Over the following years they helped to develop a 33km cross country ski system. The Bittersweet Ski trails continue to keep them busy in all seasons. Don continues to paint landscapes, working daily on various projects.
The Pop-Up Gallery is located in the PDAC Classroom