Header photo by William Au
2020 is the year to travel within Canada - and lucky us - there are some pretty phenomenal experiences to be had right here in Manitoba. Typically, polar bear tours in Churchill, Manitoba need to be booked far in advance and sell out quickly. This year, Canadians can take advantage of these 5 last minute package deals that will take you on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure to the remote of Churchill, where the annual migration of polar bears captivates wildlife enthusiasts from October through November.
Some quick facts about current COVID-19 regulations:
• Residents of western Canada or northwestern Ontario are exempt from self-isolation, if they have not travelled to another country or any part of Canada outside of western Canada or northwestern Ontario in the 14-day period immediately before entering or arriving in Manitoba and are not displaying any symptoms of COVID-19.
*Western Canada means British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
**northwestern Ontario means that portion of Ontario that is located west of Terrace Bay
• People can also travel to Churchill and the surrounding area if they have no symptoms of COVID-19 and limit the use of local services while they are travelling there. They must travel to Churchill as directly as possible. This means they may fly directly to Churchill, or drive or fly to another northern city and then be transported to Churchill by train.
1. Lords of the Arctic Learning Vacation: October 31 to November 7, 2020
Churchill Northern Studies Centre | 8 days, 7 nights | $3895 CAD | Includes meals and accommodations
Immerse yourself in a subarctic educational and cultural wonderland. Explore the North by land and air to witness the annual migration of the majestic polar bear with leading biologists at an active research facility in Churchill. Note: This tour does not include travel/airfare to Churchill.
2. Polar Bear Adventure: October 29-30 or November 3-4
Lazy Bear Expeditions | 2 nights | Starting at $1750 CAD | Includes some meals, accommodations
Have a life-changing adventure with Lazy Bear Expeditions. This special, two-night polar bear adventure includes accommodations at Lazy Bear Lodge, a full day tundra tour and a town tour. Note: This tour does not include travel/airfare to Churchill. For more information and to book email email@example.com or call 1-866-687-2327.
3. Polar Bear Day Tours: Individual dates from October 21 to November 12, 2020
Great White Bear Tours | 1 day tours | $500 CAD | Includes lunch and snacks
Climb aboard the polar rover and set out on an exciting day across the subarctic. This guided tour is perfect for those DIYers who prefer to plan their own itinerary and are just looking for a day tour to see polar bears. Note: This tour does not include travel/airfare to Churchill.
4. Churchill Polar Bear Adventure Day Tours: October 31, 2020
Heartland Tours | 1 day | $1649 CAD | Includes roundtrip private charter airfare from Winnipeg and meals
Spend a fully escorted day in Churchill with Heartland Tours. The tour departs from Winnipeg and includes a day tour on the Tundra Buggy to see the polar bears. The tour also includes meals and plenty of time for souvenir shopping.
5. Churchill Town and Tundra Experience - Adventurer - Drive and VIA Rail: Various dates in October and November 2020
Frontiers North | 2 nights Train, 2 nights Churchill | $2,499 CAD | Includes VIA Rail from Thompson MB or Canora, SK, lodging and some meals
Experience the best of Churchill with a self-drive and ride package that has it all. Explore the unique and charming town of Churchill, spend time with polar bears on a Tundra Buggy in the Churchill Wildlife Management Area and have a high-flying dogsled adventure.