Fauré and Poulenc
- Dates:March 23, 2018 - March 25, 2018 ( Recurring daily )
- Location:St. Boniface Cathedral
- Times:March 23 & 24 - 8:00 PM, March 25 - 2:00 PM
- Address: 190 ave de la Cathédrale Winnipeg, MB
- Phone: (204) 949-3999
- Email:Send Email
- Website:Visit Website
- Region: Winnipeg
- Ticket Info: Ticketmaster: 855-985-5000
The exquisite Pie Jesu from Gabriel Fauré’s Requiem guaranteed the composer immortality. Fauré wrote: “everything I managed to entertain by way of religious illusion I put into my Requiem, which moreover is dominated from beginning to end by a very human feeling of faith in eternal rest.” Purity, objectivity, and beautifully crafted vocal lines permeate Fauré’s greatest work.
The Requiem is paired with Francis Poulenc’s Gloria, almost Vivaldi-like in its elegance. Nonetheless, Poulenc’s fierce wit and fearless light-heartedness is still present. Forsyth’s Three Métis Songs ground us in our own history as the WSO performs in St.Boniface’s grand Cathedral-within-ruins, celebrating its 200th anniversary.