Canada 150 Celebrations at the Fort la Reine Museum
- Dates:July 1, 2017
- Location:Fort la Reine Museum
- City:Portage la Prairie
- Times:From: 11:00 AM to 04:00 PM
- Admission:$10>00 for adults; $8.00 for students & 60+; $5.00 for children; 4 and under FREE
- Address: 2652 Saskatchewan Ave. E Portage la Prairie, MB
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (204) 857-3259
- Email:Send Email
- Website:Visit Website
- Region: Pembina Valley Central Plains
Make History - Learn to build a prairie icon - A Red River Cart on Canada Day
It’s Canada’s 150th birthday and the Fort la Reine Museum invites you to come and build a prairie icon, a Red River Cart. A Metis historian/craftsman will be on hand to touch you with the history of the Red River Cart developed by the Metis. Before the coming, the railroad and the construction of roads, the two-wheeled “Red River cart” pulled by draft animals, was the main method of land transportation in what was to become Manitoba and throughout the prairies during the 19th century in the fur trade and expansion westward. Join in and actually help construct one of these historical carts, and touch history.
Building workshops will be ongoing through out the day from 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM on July 1st.