Last Saturday, a couple of friends and I ventured out to the Red River Ex to enjoy a day of carnival food, midway games and amusement rides at Manitoba’s largest fair. We thought we would be there for a couple of hours or so, but cut to four hours later and we were nowhere close to being ready to go! We packed in a full day and still didn’t experience everything (there’s always next year, Canine Stars).
We might not have seen it all, but we did discover 20 ways to have a crazy-fun day on the Midway…
1. Walk the Midway.
It’s always an explosion of colour and sound.
2. Take a selfie on the Ferris wheel.
3. Be brave enough to try a new ride.
Pink shirt wasn’t having it though.
4. Meet a clown.
If clown’s are your thing. (They are not mine.)
5. Slide like a champ.
6. Do what the drink stand says.
It doesn’t get more straightforward than that, does it?
7. Stuff yourself silly on carnival food.
We devoured the four basic carnival foods: fries, lemonade, corn dogs and mini-donuts!
8. Get jerked around on the Crazy Mouse.
Tip: Do not attempt directly after eating all that carnival food.
9. Appreciate our magnificent skies before screaming from a free-fall.
It was a hot sunny day, but this photo makes it look like it was anything but.
10. Hang upside down.
11. Enjoy the breeze as you get into the swing of things.
12. Wait for that plaintive wail of “Do you want to go faster!?”
The good ol’ Polar Express is still pumping out that massive siren sound while hurling people backwards at an ungodly speed.
13. Test your luck on the Midway…
…and try to win a big prize…
…a really BIG prize!
Seriously, how do you win one of these? What’s the trick? We left with a selfie stick.
14. Greet the best breeds.
And maybe get a kiss or a shifty “why are you touching my paw?” look.
15. Check out the goods.
Exhibition Place had all kinds of goodies in it. We particularly liked these handmade quilts.
16. Have Taz teach you about bed bugs.
Weird, I know, but very informative.
17. Preserve your family name by burning it in wood.
Yes, these are still around. Manitoba’s cottage country would be nothing without them.
18. Learn to milk a cow.
19. Get close to the dinosaur. But not too close.
20. Grab some more snacks before you leave.
Another round? Definitely. What can I say, it was a scorching two-lemonade kind of day.
Lemonade cheers and mini-donut bag shakes to one heckuva day at the Ex!
What are your favourite things about the Ex? We’d love to hear them. Tell us in the comments!