Summer is meant for adventure, and sometimes that adventure is as simple as heading out on the highway in search of some amazing drive in food. How many of these drive in (and drive-in-esque) establishments can you visit this year?
Ahh, central Manitoba. Land of sunflower and golden canola fields as far as the eye can see. It's also home to a great number of drive ins for your burger and shake needs. Put these drive ins on your map if you're heading to attractions like the Canadian Fossil Discovery Centre, Treherne Glass Bottle Buildings, Pembina Valley Provincial Park and the Miami Railway Museum.
1. George's Kitchen + Ice Cream: Morden
2. Lickity-Splits Drive In: Gladstone
3. Retro's Drive-Inn: Carman
4. Syl's Drive In: Carman
5. L&J's Drive Inn: Treherne
6. Ma's Drive In: Elm Creek
7. Charley B's Classic Grill & Ice Cream Parlour: Winkler
8. Iceburg Drive-In: Winkler
9. Spark's Drive Inn: Stephenfield
10. Ice Cream Hut: Altona
Ice cream and the Interlake seem to go hand in hand, which is why you absolutely must stop into one of these drive ins next time you find yourself driving along Lake Winnipeg. Add these drive ins onto your day trip when visiting attractions like the Arborg & District Multicultural Heritage Museum, Gimli Glider Exhibit, Hecla Island and Village, Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site and Oak Hammock Marsh
11. Salty's Drive In: Winnipeg Beach
12. Sonia's Stand: Lockport
13. Skinners: Lockport
14. Half Moon Drive In: Lockport
15. The Kiln Drive-In: Stonewall
16. Shelley D's Restaurant: Gimli
17. Kris Fish n Chips: Gimli
18. Porkchop's Roadside Grill: Lake Manitoba Narrows
The Parkland is home to one lonely drive in (well not so lonely, considering its popularity), so be sure to stop into this fine establishment when visiting spots like Riding Mountain National Park, Asessippi Provincial Park, Duck Mountain Provincial Park, The Negrych Farmstead and the Fort Dauphin Museum.
19. Connie's Drive In: Russell
We're hoping to convince some of you to head north this summer to experience some of Manitoba's greatest outdoor adventures - and there are 3 drive ins to stop into on the way to the mesmerizing parks of Pisew Falls Provincial Park, Wekusko Falls Provincial Park, Bakers Narrows Provincial Park and Paint Lake Provincial Park.
20. Dutch Drive In: The Pas
21. Mike's Ice N Burger Hut: Flin Flon
22. Popeye's: Thompson
With much of cottage country located on the eastern side of the province, it's a no brainer for cabin-goers to try some of these drive ins this summer. On the way, also be sure to check out hiking spots in Whiteshell Provincial Park like Pine Point Rapids trail and Bannock Petroforms trail, as well as the Mennonite Heritage Village, the Pinawa Dam Provincial Park and the Elma Farmers Market.
23. Lanky's: Grand Beach
24. Cynthia's Cornerstone Cafe: Brokenhead
25. The Dairy Bar: Beausejour
26. Airliner Drive In: Beausejour
27. Vickie's Snack Bar: Beausejour
28. Brian's Drive In: Lorette
29. The Patio Grill: Grunthal
30. Cedar & Main: Oakbank
31. Meteor Mike's: West Hawk Lake
32. The Burger Boat: Pinawa
33. Vicky's Drive Inn: Ste. Anne
There's much to see and do in the western reaches of the province; in between eating hotdogs and fries, that is. On your way to one (or more) of these drive ins, check out attractions like the Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba, the Margaret Laurence Home, the Manitoba Agricultural Museum, Spruce Woods Provincial Park, the Souris Swinging Bridge and the International Peace Garden.
34. Busy B Drive Inn: Boissevain
35. What's the Scoop at McAndrew's Drive In: Hamiota
36. The Beach Hut: Killarney
37. Ice Cream Island: Virden
38. The Dairy Bar: Souris
39. Dandy Drive Inn: Oak Lake
40. Tastee's Ice Cream & Grill: Brandon
41. Dari Isle Drive In: Minnedosa
42. Glenboro Drive Inn: Glenboro
Did we miss your favourite drive in? Tell us in the comments!