Travel Manitoba’s media relations team is always hard at work, courting the interest of influential writers, broadcasters and bloggers in our key markets.
In 2013 the team hosted 101 media trips from 12 countries, while stoking more interest through news releases, e-newsletters and a variety of relationship-building tactics. Up to 100 million potential visitors were reached through the 425 resulting news features, online mentions and broadcasts.
In terms of equivalent advertising value, this “earned” media coverage was worth $4.3 million. It also magnified the impact of Travel Manitoba’s paid advertising campaigns by creating a powerful sense of third-party endorsement.
Here’s a sampling of coverage in 2013:
- Swimming with Whales in Canada by Ian Belcher, Financial Times, March 2013 (Circulation: 286,000/Value: $77,400)
- On River Time by Deb Cummings, West Jet’s Up!, June 2013 (Circulation: 150,000/Value: $11,830)
- Winnipeg’s Architectural Renaissance by Alec Scott, enRoute, June 2013 (Circulation: 147,000/Value: $160,000)
- Everything’s just Ducky in Manitoba by Peter Brewster, Toronto Sun, July 2013 (Circulation: 1,540,055/Value: $55,000)
- Head to Churchill, Manitoba for the greatest light show on earth: the aurora borealis by Paula Felps, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, August 2013 (Circulation: 139,631/Value: $12,327)
- Falcon Trails Resort serves up rest & relaxation by Sarah Zaharia, Winnipeg Sun, November 2013 (Circulation: 42,264/Value: $1,186)
- Walking with Polar Bears: the Next Great Safari by Richard Bangs, HuffingtonPost.com, November 2013 (Circulation: 6,658,850/Value: $15,000)